Sunday, January 25, 2009

Chapter 3 Conley

Chapter 3
Textbook based big ideas: Teacher using the textbook and honing in on the ideas that the students are requires to learn. What is important for the teacher to teach and for the students to learn.
*Mapping out big ideas with students will help them make the connections between related concepts*
Standard based big ideas: Teacher uses state standards in order to definer his/her curriculum.
*Backwards mapping allows for teachers to derive standards information from state test items*
3 steps in bakwards mapping
1. read the question
2. answer the question
3. map or record the steps

Standard base usage:
1. setting goals.
2. assessing students.
3. planning and teaching lesons.
4. selecting texts and other resources.
5. building community.

*Adolescents benefit from being held to some sort of standard*
> explain why it is important to learn various big ideas and concepts
>provide time for students to complete assignments
>demonstrate strategies
> assess students progress

There are many multiple literacies right now that I have implemented into my daily life. Two of which are Facebook and Myspace. They affect me daily and how I interact with people in various ways. I keep in touch with friends that are not directly near me. I have opportunities to meet new people and form new meaningful relationships. I can use both to benefit me in my school career through contact with classroom peers and others who my help me with their knowledge of paricular subject matter. I also stay informed on what others are doing and can express my likes, dislikes, interests, and personal views for others to respond to. Both of these literacy sources are great outlets for anyone of any backgroung or age.

2 comments:

  1. I would hope that teachers would not rely on textbooks to control their class. It would be nice if there were MS textbooks that addressed all standards according to grades. I think that teachers should use textbooks to introduce concepts. They should also rely on their creative skills to decide how they should present this information to students.

    Do you think that Facebook should be used in elementary schools? I know of some schools that will not allow students to use Facebook. What could teachers use instead of Facebook to help their students become tech savvy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well its because Facebook can be used maliciously and for sexual purposes. Good Lord, what are kids doing these days...

    ReplyDelete