Sunday, February 1, 2009

The assessment that is On-Going...

I must say that I was immediately drawn to a small box located on the crisp white page number 89. This box brought back many memories of tests that I have taken in my educational career. I thought back to tests where even the slightest noises would distract me. Noises that led to me paying more attention to the noises than the test, therefore losing critical time, since ofcourse the test has a time limit. All of these restrictions and possibilities running through my head creating nothing but chaos on what was most likely a very simplistic test. Wow! Tests can be so gosh darn frustrating.


Assessment accommodations are things that are particulary done during an assessment for students with special needs. Accommodations can also be made for students that are English language learners. This helpful box lists many ways that we as teachers can create accommodations for our students in need. Some of the ways that are listed include: administering the test individually or in small groups, administering the test somewhere were distractions are extremely limited, providing the test on audio tape, reducing the test items per page, highlighting key terms within the directions, and proving cues throughout the assessment. All of these things make beautiful sense in my mind to reduce stress, provide relaxed ease, and take away worry in the student's mind through providing these "helping hands."


Assessments can seriously bring about panic attacks in students who have high test anxiety. It is so pivotal for us as teachers to take note of students who need assistance. Without this assistance a student who otherwise may do exceptionally well on an assessment will struggle resulting in an invalid assessment result. I want to know with the upmost validity that my students have absorbed what I have taught them, and this can only be determined through valid assessment where the studens are at their upmost comfort level in taking it.

5 comments:

  1. It is our job as teachers to make students more comfortable when it comes time for things like those pesky state assessments. One way to do this is by doing test runs in your classroom. Walk through the steps of what will occur when the day comes to take the test. If students know the routine, then anxiety may subside some. I know I can’t stand multiple choice tests, but that is what is on the state tests. You as the teacher must give students the opportunity to work with similar multiple choice tests. You need to think out loud how you as the teacher would go about answering the questions. This helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicolas, I agree with you when you talk about how easy it is to be distracted during testing time. This is a crucial time for all students and distractions only make it harder for students and therefore they end of falling behind or giving up. It is very important to make accommodations for students who need them. In order for every student to have the opportunity to learn all of their learning needs have to be met. Assessments can be a serious stress inducing task that is not beneficial to any student, and therefore we as future educators must make certain that all of our students are prepared and do not stress out about taking tests.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with the noise distraction. I can remember during one our big test hearing a lawn mower going out side. It made wish I was outside and then think about what I would do if I was out side. The train of thought would continue for who know how long before I would snap back into reality and realize I only had 5 minutes left. Then the test anxiety would kick in because of the time limit.

    Many teachers look at student who have high anxiety and just tell them to deal with it or they will say “oh they just don’t want to take the test”. Teacher must be sensitive to the needs of all their students in all ways. You would not deny a child who can not see the resources to take the test. You would provide that child with someone to read the test to them or other assistants. Why would you deny any of your students the necessary tools to have success even if that includes test anxiety?

    Yes, I agree that accommodations should be made for all students and I think that box is helpful because I have had questions about ways it can be done. We are always hearing about them but the lists of what they are have been limited.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Assessment accommodations are definitely always necessary when there is a troubled student(s) in the classroom. I also believe assessment accomodations should be made for every student when considering the environment that the test is given. Distractions are a big no no for all students that we have to consider, even for those who do not get easily distracted. I am definitely investing in a "do not enter, testing" sign to put on my door. I have also heard of provided tests at the beginning of the day, even if that subject is later in the day, so students can focus on your teachings through out the day instead of worrying about the test all day. Though that would of course have to be considered depending on if you have the same students through out the day. It could also help students test while the concepts are fresh on their mind so they're not having a new concept taught to them in a different subject before taking their tests. WOW! Who would have ever thought there was so much to consider when assessing students formally and informally. I love the tips given for helping those students who made needs extra help. Looks like we are definitely going to have our hands full!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Assessments play a key role in the classroom. So often students view them as something scary or as something to dread. I completely felt where you were coming from when you were speaking about your test expereince. Noises, actions, movements, and many other things can takes one's mind aways from an oh so borring test. In my case once my mind had drifted, I found it very hard to get back to my original mind set. Even though my mind was back to the test, I would begin to worry about the timne I had lost which was just another distraction. Diverse assessments should exist in all classrooms. All students do not display their knowledge in the same way. The purpose of teaching is to help students learn. Why not given the students that opportunity instead of sticking them with the chance of this happening?

    ReplyDelete